On Twitter on Tuesday a very interesting point and one I hadn’t thought about at all came up. It was we don’t have Doctorette’s or Pilotette’s so why farmerette’s ?. I had never given much thought to being a farmerette it is just what I would call myself .
When I did think about it and about being called a farmerette I saw why for me it is important to keep my farmerette name.
- When a woman is a doctor or pilot or nearly any other job they can wear dresses , make up and have their hair nice if they want. As a farmer that is not possible in your day to day work. Make up would run down your face , one windy wet hour and your hair looks like a drowned rat and a dress is never an option.
- Being a farmer leaves you with very little time to feel feminine and girlie it is a very physically demanding job and there is nothing feminine about smelling of animal poop and sweat.
- It is a job that you can easily forget you are a woman .
- It is why I kept my hair long and blonde and try to wear mascara (waterproof I learned the hard way) most days.
- I try to keep my nails painted even though it only lasts a few days it gives my rough hands a little more feminine feel.
- I try to have pretty wellies not the standard green farmer wellies if I can :).
- I am not a girlie girl but I want to remember I am a woman and even though I do a man’s job I don’t need to look like one :).
- I want to be a farmerette because it is another little thing to make my job a little more feminine rather than just being a farmer :).