I have always had a little fascination with stories of the sea and it would be the one thing I would be a little superstitious about . I love boats , both watching them and sailing on them . Last September I even joined the local sea rowing club which I love but at the minute I have very little time to do.
So because it is the 100 years since Titanic was lost to the sea I have been reading just about everything I can find on the ship and also recording some tv programmes as well. Today the Irish Examiner has a lovely pull out section in the paper all about Titanic over the next few days I will share some of what I have learned about this wonderful ship.
Some Titanic facts :
- Fourteen years before the Titanic sailed, US author Morgan Robertson wrote a book about a ship that set sail from Southampton, hit an iceberg in the Atlantic and sank. That just freaks me out :).
- 3000 men worked for two years to build Titanic.
- A five year old boy launched Titanic, he was the nephew of the designer Thomas Andrews.
- If the Titanic was to be built today it would cost 400 million dollars.
- During sea trials Titanic’s stopping distance after travelling at full speed was half a mile.
- Titanic was the first ocean liner to offer it’s passengers the use of a heated pool.
- There was only one toilet for men and one for women for the whole of the 700 third class passenger’s.
- Titanic was nicknamed the ‘ Millionaire Special’ because of all the wealthy passenger’s on board who’s combined wealth was over 11 billion dollars in today’s money.
- The iceberg Titanic hit was about six stories high above the water and fifty below the water.
- The ships band played right till Titanic sunk.
- Most of Titanic’s victim’s died from the cold the water was minus two on that night.
- A Frenchman on board was travelling with his two children who he had kidnapped from their mother , he drowned but both children survived.
On this day 100 years ago the Titanic left Cobh in Co Cork it was it’s last stop. We are planning a trip in the summer down to the Titanic centre in Cobh and I am really looking forward to it . I will have some more Titanic piece’s tomorrow .